Thursday, January 8, 2009

Depression: full shielding and rebelling against religion and politics

I went on to college and discovered that I had depression. I met a man that I fell completely head over heels with and when he left me I found that I could not cry about it. I realized that I was completely without emotion. I didn’t get angry, happy, or sad. This disturbed me and I began my journey into the self-help world. I took a drama class and was also immediately talented in that area. I also started to take up photography. One of my drawings and photographs took 1st place in the local county fair. College allowed me to start meeting friends who were more accepting and who opened me to other ways of thinking. One girl introduced me to yoga which I didn’t like because I got dizzy. (10 years later I took yoga again and loved it) She was reading books like the Celestine Prophecy and said it was her new religion. That made me not want to read the book because I hated religion and I didn’t want to attach to another one. My mother was fundamentalist Christian and her extremes really turned me off to it. As an adolescent I was not a rebellious child. I did what my parents asked of me and thought they always new what they were talking about when it came to religion and politics. This could have been due to my desire to please them so they would love me. It was a very sheltered life.

No comments:

Post a Comment