Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cross country roadtrip, seeking a low pressure life, futuristic perspective of the world

In 1993, after completing two years of college at the age of 18, I didn’t have a clue as to what I wanted to do for a career. Most students figured out what they wanted to do by just trying out other classes. I hated school so much that I didn’t think that was the way to find out for me. So I moved back home with my parents and helped with the family business and became sort of a recluse which I really enjoyed. I found out I was really good at baking and cooking much to my families delight. I also took up sewing which I was not immediately good at like all my other creative pursuits so I got lazy and didn’t pursue the art more. I took a road trip with my family which took us all the way to Florida up into D.C., NYC and back again. It really triggered the traveling bug in me. At Cape Canaveral in Florida we saw these mammoth sized rocket ships that required a truck larger than a tractor trailer to transport it to the launch pad. My first reaction to this was not awe, but more like, “this thing is so archaic.” It was one of the greatest inventions of our time, and my response was how awkward this giant this thing was. I’ve decided that I must have lived in a future (not past) lifetime to view our present technology this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment